Sunday, December 20, 2009

Jacksonville NC, I loathe you

So, I've been down here a week. It has been a very lame, long week. I can't believe how much I don't miss any of this crap down here. The traffic is always so terrible, and fixing the streets is nearly impossible because of so much traffic.

One thing about the traffic that has not changed is how people sit at stop lights. When I learned how to drive I was told to move into the intersection while waiting to turn left on a green light. Most of the people here sit right at white line that signifies where to stop when the light is red. Obviously this makes a left turn a whole lot longer than it would if you were already in the intersection and only have to cross the lanes of oncoming traffic. Unfortunately, not a lot of people know this. So they just sit there patiently waiting for next green arrow. How lame...

The other thing that bothers me about being out here is you can't just go to a shop to have your oil changed. I walk into Jiffy Lube and they say I could make an appointment. I didn't realize Jiffy Lube is in the appointment business. Oh well, I just get to do it myself.

The other thing I knew but didn't take into account was paydays. I went to Wal-Mart for granola. That's it. Granola. I stood in line for nearly 20 minutes just to use the self-checkout, express lane. Outrageous, friends. It was amazing to see how many people were in line at the express lane with a cart full of groceries. I had granola and Powerade. I had two items and was forced to watch people attempt to use the express lane for upwards of 90 items.

This is just some of the things that make me angry about being in Jacksonville, NC. I guess I shouldn't be so grumpy about it. It isn't the town's fault. Literally, the town was here and Camp Lejeune unleashed hell on the town. And now there's just so many Marines living here there's barely the infrastructure needed to support the amount of people.

No comments: