Saturday, September 18, 2010

Educational Goal Statement Rough Draft

I was the first person in my family to go to college right after high school. I did not finish my degree, and since then my dad has finished his bachelor’s degree. I’ve been back in school off and on after being honorably discharged from the Marine Corps. I finally decided it was time to finish the degree and get into a career path.
I have been enrolled in two community colleges in Minnesota, and I recently graduated from North Hennepin Community College with an Associate of Arts degree. I started with the Law Enforcement program, but I jumped to the other program when I had the opportunity to participate in the L.E.T.O. program with the State Patrol. I also have a background in journalism from my time in the Marine Corps.
I would like to continue my federal service by joining the U.S. Marshal Service. Hence, the reason I’d like to study Criminal Justice and Sociology.
I would like for my degree to encompass some of the socioeconomic struggles facing those who end up as recidivistic offenders. It seems so much emphasis is placed on punishment of offenders instead of rehabilitation. I think there needs to be an understanding of what drives people to continue to offend. Sociology classes will help with that. I have been taking sociology classes through NHCC, and I found Families in Crisis to be one of the best classes I have taken so far.
I hope to gain an insight and the ability to understand what it takes to help with the rehabilitation process. I understand that no matter the amount of education a person receives that it is not a guarantee of understanding, but I hope to make a small difference.
My idea of an educated person is somebody who is empathetic, helpful and offers solutions instead of being a part of the problem. Being able to remember what was read and put it down on paper for a test does not prove to be a useful measure of education. It is what people choose to do with that ability and present it to the world in a useful manner.

No comments: