Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dodge Dip Duck Dive and Dodge

Let me first start out by saying being a part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization is awesome. I love the time I spend with my little brother. We've been matched for three years now. We do all sorts of fun stuff at the school. In the winter, I take him outside and we go sledding. If it's too cold we stay inside and play basketball or whatever sport he's engrossed in at that time. Sometimes I play the mean role and make him do some homework with me before we do the fun stuff. Most of the time, though, it's just nice to hang out with him and goof around.

Yesterday, while hanging out with him after school we played dodgeball with some of his friends. I hadn't played in quite awhile, but my dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge skills were still top notch.

I'm pretty proud to say that in three games I was only out three times. However, I'm not too proud to say I got burned by a third grade little girl.

There I was in the back minding my own business picking up a ball when I was blasted in the leg by another ball. I turned to see who had hit me. Standing there all four feet tall was this girl.

She blurted out, "Oh yeah! You got burned by a little girl! Yeah, I got you OUT!"

As I walked off to the side she continued to taunt me with, "You're not very good at this game. You got burned by a little girl like me."

It was pretty funny, and the teacher that was supervising the other kids was getting a good laugh at her tirade. Once somebody caught a ball I was allowed to go back into the game. From then on, I made it a point to walk right up to the middle line with a ball and stare directly at her. I will not hesitate to use my skills as a formidable dodgeball player to intimidate a 9-year-old girl. She deserved it. I didn't throw a ball at her the rest of the game. It was just to give the impression I would, but then at the last second I would throw it at the stronger boys on the other team.

Some of those kids can really whip those dodgeballs. I can see how Vince Vaughn would lose to a Girl Scout troop.

Needless to say, my little brother's team won every game.

The odd part about visiting my little brother is that all his friends want to hang out with us.

I don't know if that's good or bad. What I can tell you is that it means there are plenty of kids out there who want to participate in the program. If you have an hour a week, I would suggest you look into the program. It feels really good to volunteer.

Give back.

No comments: