Thursday, August 7, 2008

Not as long as before between posts; hooray...

Yeah, the hooray is more for me, and not really for you. I'm excited that I have some time to sit down and write a little bit here. This isn't particularly good for you, the few readers here, but I'm excited about it.

I'm watching the Little League World Series, and I can't help but think if they played the semi-pro team I play on...

I don't want to finish that. You think it over. I'm sure you can guess what I'm thinking.

However, I've always said if I played junior high girls basketball right now, I'd dominate the game!

Enough of this nonsense. I have something that is a bit more of a "You were always right" for somebody.

I've got a guy in my shop who doesn't really like to listen to suggestions. Some of my suggestions should come across as more direct orders, but it is hard when it is part of their personal life.

A little back story for you:
I came to Camp Lejeune June 2. Since I've been here, there has been a truck in the parking lot that belongs to another Marine. Finally, after it sitting there an entire month, I say it is time to either get it running, or get it out of the general's parking lot. I'm pretty sure I said my parking lot, but that's only because in the Marine Corps everything is always "yours;" e.g. my parking lot, my building, my seven day store. It isn't mine, but that doesn't stop me from saying "my whatever."

The truck is running, but only for a few days. On the way home last week, he tells me his truck died on the way home. That's fine, I recently had him put roadside assistance on his insurance because I know how his truck was not running very well. I figure he'll get it towed to a shop, or where ever, as long as it moves. Lesson number one right there. Follow up. This was a Tuesday night that the truck died.

Back to the present:
Sunday, I'm on my way home from a friend's, and I see the truck parked half-assed in the ditch along the road. This prompts me to say something immediately this Monday morning.

Call the insurance company and get the truck towed. See: Lesson number one.

I didn't follow up about the truck. Somehow, babysitting a 24-year-old Marine escaped my mind.

Now it is Wednesday, and I just had a minor disagreement that left me confused and a little angry. The next thing that happened only added to my plummeting mood.

The phone rings, and the other end says, "This is Trooper Dudley and I'm looking for Isi... Is... Isid..."

I say, "(Full name) and this is about his truck isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. I'm fixing to have it towed because I just got a complaint about it."

(By the way, I love the phrase: I'm fixing to... Why is everybody fixing everything? Is everything broken? I know the truck is, but the act of towing is not.)

So, this really just sets me off, because I'm pumped about nothing being done about it Monday or Tuesday. Lesson number one staring me right in the face.

Long story short: The truck gets towed. Now my Marine is out $125 for the towing fees and $25 a day at the impound lot. Don't forget it isn't running, so add more money for the dolley to pull the truck behind another vehicle.

Roadside assistance = $0. There's lesson number two.

Lesson number one: Follow up. An essential part of my new found responsibilities while trying to ensure this Marine is taking care of himself. Amazing. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Lesson learned!

Lesson number two: I remember people telling me to be proactive when I was younger, and just take of some things before they ended up costing me more money in the long run. I didn't listen because I knew everything. So, yeah, I get it. I'm sorry for being stubborn when I was younger. That's a recap for lesson number two.

You know the saying, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission"? Well, that's all used up.

The good news for you: He's still around until March, so there should be more stories. Hopefully, I'll get better at writing and they'll be even funnier.

I'm a hundred miles away, son. Ready to strike.

No comments: